What is a Occupational Therapist?
Dietitians are qualified professions who have studied to be able to provide expert advice on nutrition and diet. Dietitians translate the latest sciOccupational therapists focus on health and well being by enabling people to participate in all areas in daily life including self-care activities such as showering, dressing, food preparation, education, work, caring for others, social activities and hobbies.
Occupational therapists play a vital role in identifying problem areas that prevent people from fully participating in daily life and implementing methods to support their participation in occupations and enable them to participate in everyday life. To do this, the Occupational Therapist may need to modify an activity or the environment itself.
Our Occupation Therapists can assist you
- To develop skills in self-care, self-management, home management, and community/work/school reintegration
- To educate and support individuals related to you, including family members, caregivers, friends and others, through collaborative and consultative partnerships and family-centred approaches
- With care coordination, case management, transition services including discharge planning, client advocacy and onward referral to relevant services
- With altering negative behaviours and thought patterns (including one’s personality, insights, perceptions, and judgments, as part of the therapeutic process)
- With modifying and adapting environments such as home, work, school, community - including ergonomic principles
- Use of a range of specific therapeutic procedures such as:
- wound care management
- techniques to enhance sensory, perceptual, and cognitive processing
- manual therapy technique skills
At Your First Appointment
At your first appointment, the Occupational Therapist will ask you to complete a pre-screening questionnaire.
Based on the answers to the questionnaire, in addition to further information you may provide to the Occupational Therapist, your goals will be identified and a plan created. The Occupational Therapist will also support you with implementing the plan.