What do Exercise Physiologists Do?
An exercise physiologist is an Allied Health professional who specialises in the benefits of exercise to help patients get fitter for all around good health, or to treat patients with a medical condition through exercise.
They are much more than an ordinary personal trainer at the gym. Exercise physiologists study at university and have a wide range of knowledge about the human body and the benefit that exercise has on it, both mentally and physically.
Exercise physiologists are knowledgeable about the effects that exercise has on the musculoskeletal system, as well as on the cardiovascular and endocrine systems. They can prescribe a course of exercises for either fitness or rehabilitation. Exercise physiologists can treat medical conditions such as obesity, arthritis, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, depression, asthma and cardiovascular diseases, as well as many other conditions. They can also advise on behavioural modification programs.
Our Exercise Physiology Clinic takes a multidisciplinary lifestyle approach to mental health care. Many studies have proven that exercise is an effective treatment for mental health conditions, positively improving mood and reducing mental health symptoms.
Our Accredited Exercise Physiologists have the skills and knowledge to support you and help you start moving on your health journey.
Our Exercise Physiologists can assist you to
- Reduce symptoms of mental health conditions
- Manage weight issues caused by medication
- Improve sleep quality
- Improve symptoms of chronic diseases such as type two diabetes, osteoporosis, asthma, cardiovascular disease
- Start an evidence-based treatment for mental health conditions, including education and /or exercise prescription as required for clients that are suitable to apply within a home or community based setting
- Control weight gain caused by taking medications
- learn how to properly use therapeutic exercise techniques
Our Accredited Exercise Physiologists have the expertise to critically evaluate their approaches concerning new information, promoting the suitable application of new knowledge and innovations in multidisciplinary practices and decision-making processes.
Your First Appointment
- You will be asked to complete a pre-screening questionnaire prior to being seen.
- Wear comfortable clothing to your first session (e.g. track pants, tights or shorts) and walking/exercise shoes.
- We will do some basic lifestyle assessments and discuss your goals, barriers and develop a treatment plan together.
We do accept private clients.